Here is an exciting and dynamic game I used in class the other day to review vocabulary. It is similar to the Chinese Whispers classic but with a competitive twist to it. 🙂
– Divide your students into two teams and your board into two halves. The teams will line up facing the board perpendicularly.
– Shout out a vocabulary topic you’d like to review.
– Starting from the last student in line, they will whisper a word along the team members and the first student in line will write it on the board. Once he/she has finished writing it, they must move to the end of the line and keep it going to write as many words as possible.
– If a member of the group considers there is a spelling error, they are allowed to correct it when it’s their turn to be at the board.
– To increase the excitement, after a couple of minutes, change the vocabulary topic. 🙂
– This game could also be used as a warm up task to brainstorm vocabulary on a topic that is about to be covered.
– Pronunciation focus: Ask students to come up with vocabulary that includes certain phonemes.
– Grammar focus: Shout out a prepositions and students will write down matching verbs. HAVE FUN 🙂